Choosing a PR Agency
Why would you choose to hire an outside public relations agency? Does hiring one make sense for you at this point? The answer depends on what your goals and resources are, and just how well you get along with the PR agency you’re considering.
Advantages of an outside PR firm
- You don’t need to spend as much time handling all of your PR efforts and can focus on your core business.
- A professional PR agency will be able to help shape your communications plan.
- A good agency should have many established and useful connections with media outlets.
Some Disadvantages of an outside PR firm
- You no longer have total control over what is communicated about your company, so you need to trust the agency you hire.
- You are spending capital and resources to hire someone on the outside to convey your message.
One of the first things you need to consider before you even talk to an outside PR agency is exactly what your business and communication goals are. What are you asking the PR agency to do for you, and what message do you want them to help you convey?
A lot of entrepreneurs make the mistake of approaching PR agencies without a clear vision of what they are looking for. Not only will this cost you more money and be frustrating, it takes a lot of time and focus away from what an outside PR Agency does best: bring your vision to fruition in the most effective way possible.